Tuesday, June 06, 2006

On Having A Bee In My Bonnet

I don't know, maybe I had a few bad dreams last night or last night's dinner didn't agree with me. But you can say I got up on the wrong side of the bed.

My husband of 41 years and I wake up to the radio coming on, tuned to NPR. Though I love that station, the news today made me angry. Instead of being able to report that our government is hard at work on a new health care program that meets the needs of everyone ... or that the President has decided to bring our troops home from Iraq tomorrow and will sign the Kyoto Protocol, demanding drastic reductions in the amount of green house gases this nations spills into the air, NPR had to report this week's big story ... about the fight for a constitutional ammendment to ban same sex marriage ... as if two women or two men living together are planning to blow up the white house. If that wasn't bad enough when I turned on the tv to catch the local weather forecast, there was Mat Lauer of the Today Show, inter- viewing a political writer, who shall remain nameless, about her latest book, in which she states that the widows of 9/11 have been out there enjoying their husband's deaths ... you know, because they're now millionaires and not only have fortune but are gaining fame, because they dare to speak out about that tragic event and how our government might have prevented it from happening.

I kind of feel like I've been hit over the head with a red hot poker and that the looney bin wagon will soon be coming to take me away! You understand, I must be crazy if I have to ask what has happened to love and kindness in this country ... What kind of world are we living in ... What has happened to the values and ideals of our founding fathers???

That the divorce rate in this country is high and that children of divorce are generally suffering and not well adjusted doesn't seem to bother those who are homophobic. That there are babies crying in their cribs while their parents are out using a mix of drugs doesn't seem to bother them. That there are a growing number of homeless children whose parents can't find jobs doesn't seem to bother them. That the numbers of people who have no health insurance is growing doesn't seem to bother them. That makes me crazy!

That we're gasing ourselves and killing our planet with green house gases just doesn't seem as important to them as keeping two people of the same sex, who care and are committed to each other from enjoying a few of the priveleges that married hetero couples do. That makes me crazy!

I am the mother of a lesbian daughter and proud of it. She has a wonderful life partner and two of best behaved children I've come across in a long time. They are kind and loving and I would trust them with my life, my nation, my world in a heartbeat! There aren't any pretty pictures on my blog today folks, because this picture isn't pretty.

4 comments:

Deirdre said...

This is why I don't listen to the radio first thing in the morning. I get way too upset. I've been thinking about this amendment too and can't, for the life of me, figure out why there needs to be a constitutional amendment. Holy smokes. My opinion is that people who are bothered by gay marriage are thinking about it entirely too much. But that's a different issue - people with too much time on their hands and not enough going on in their hearts. Everybody has a right to an opinion, but why does it have to be so mean-spirited? My relationship has never been defined by someone else falling in love and wanting to get married. I hope I'm more secure than that. I think God probably is too.

jzr said...

Deirdre, Thanks so much for your response. I guess it is that mean-spirited thing that got me so angry today. I just don't understand it.

jzr said...

Oh Susan, I love that! That woman is disgusting!!

KMR said...

I don't listen to the radio news or the tv news anymore. I just end up getting so upset and I wanna break things. But seeing that I'm civilized, I must restrain myself :)
My daughter is a proud lesbian as well. She's only 18, and she's astounded by what's happening. Going backwards it seems.