Thursday, August 10, 2006

Twilight ... For Poetry Thursday

My Front Doorstep At Dusk

I'm off for a visit to the land of daughters and grandchildren in North Carolina, but before I depart I just want to leave you with a poem for Poetry Thursday, whose prompt I am not following this week. There are also other poems scattered through this weeks posts.

This is another mrs heartwell poem. I posted this one several weeks ago and it was quite popular, so I thought it was time for another. This one isn't funny, but gives an idea of her vulnerability and the melancholia she often experiences. I think that's what menopause and times of female depression were once called ... this is not what this is, but is more a time of needing to pull back and contemplate where one has been.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I'll be back on Monday!


twilight

discarding her halo
the fixed blue shroud
enclosing her dreams
mrs heartwell swims
through the sweet pain of tears

thickening twilight
spills through half-closed doors
drawing her to the threshold
where familiar faces waver
in the heat of colliding stars

particles of longing
gather in translucent light
a sense of weightlessness
the need to rise
above the clamor of angels
their faded wings
drooping like violets
plucked from a bed of dewy moss

opening her heart
she drifts between clouds
swarms of fireflies
at rest in her graying hair

JZR


4 comments:

mareymercy said...

I love the way you play with light here - especially the fireflies in the gray hair. A nice image!

paris parfait said...

This is a beautiful photo - how lucky you are to live there - and a beautiful, eloquent poem. Thank you for sharing this terrific work!

Deirdre said...

Wonderful poem. And your front porch is so welcoming.

Anonymous said...

These Mrs. Heartwell poems are very nice. I read one of your poems for the first time today and felt compelled to read more.