Friday, May 08, 2009

Still In The Garden ...


Oh yes, I'm still here. Still have very dirty fingernails and a tired body at the end of the day. We've had an amazing wet season with 2 3/4 " of rain between May 1st and yesterday. More is on the way as the big storms from the Midwest head our way overnight and into tomorrow. The garden is greener and lusher than I've seen it since we moved here in 2001 and for the first time I can see how all the work is paying off. I can really see the vision that I've had and it just keeps getting better.

The above photo is of a blue columbine that was here when we moved in. It moves about the garden freely, showing up in new places every year and I love it. I have never seen this variety in any of the nurseries or garden shops so don't really know what its name is.

The garden theme this year is certainly about medicine and edibles. Though I do and will tuck in something that catches my eye that is not medicinal or edible, I'm really interested in mainly putting in veggies and herbs.

I spent last weekend in North Carolina visiting with the grandlings. They were both on stage in their school's production of Fiddler On The Roof, which just blew me away. Every student in grades K thru 8th grade in this school of some 75 kids were on stage. I was in tears at the end as they sang, To Life, which shall forever be my anthem. I have spent far too many hours worrying about the future of our planet and our children and will now put my energy into celebrating the lives we do have and find ways to make them better. Here was a stage filled with children singing to their parents and grandparents about how to keep going even if the circumstances aren't always the best. Who says we can't learn from these little ones??
Sorry I didn't get pictures but it is etched in my mind and imagination for good!!

While there I was surprised to find that the Western North Carolina Herb Festival was on in Asheville and on Sunday morning I spent an hour or so wandering through the aisles of herbs, medicinals, seeds and plain ole interesting people. I got opinions about vermiculture, learned about keyhole gardens and yes, brought more plants home to put in the garden ... Angelica, meadowsweet, Clary Sage and Lobelia among them.

Hope you are enjoying the spring as much as I am!!


1 comment:

Lucy said...

I love Fiddler on the Roof! Though I watched it again for the first time for a long time and realised just how bleak it is really.

I feel a bit the same way as you about the garden, that it's finally taking the shape it was meant to, though I'm not so dedicated a gardener as you, I think. The columbine is beautiful, don't you love plants that do their own thing and surprise you like that?