Monday, March 10, 2008

Seasonal Loveliness ...

Pussy Willow Tree, © Joan Z. Rough, 2008

The seasonal loveliness continues here in central Virginia ... nights in the upper 30's ... days in the upper 50's, with 60's expected later in the week. Perfect sweater weather for being outside enjoying the onset of spring. The pussy willows are soft and furry, the daffodils are up sooner than I thought they'd be and there will be lots of them this year. Last spring blooms weren't as abundant as they are this year.

Daffodils, © Joan Z. Rough, 2008

The Canada geese are no longer hanging out in their winter gaggles. Moms and Pops are now off on their own, preparing for nesting and defending their territories day and night with noisy, squauky squabbles. Later next month won't be too soon to perhaps see these families with fuzzy goslings in tow, proudly paddling down the river or up on shore browsing the grasses for the tender greens they love and delicious squishy bugs.

I'm having a hard time with the time change this year. I just wish they'd leave it all alone. There are many reports suggesting that the energy savings that Daylight Savings Time was supposed to bring to our world haven't worked out. I do love the light in the evening, but getting up right now when the alarm goes off at 6 AM is very painful and dark. Last week at the same time the sun was rising and I was awake and aflutter with all the other early birds.

I'm getting really tired of this prolonged primary election process and find Hillory and Bill Clinton's invitation to Barak Obama to be Hillory's Vice Presidential running mate laughable and crude, since Obama is in the lead. Why did I once like those people?? What I had hoped would be a civil and healing campaign is just turning out to be more of the same crap and my inner ostrich pipes up wanting to bury it's head in the sand and say, "Whatever!" No wonder alot of us have trust issues!

Sounds like I'm having a bad day and in a sense I guess I am. I don't usually allow it to show, trying to be the optimist on the block. But occasionally it gets to every one of us and I guess today is just my day!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos! I feel just the same about Daylight Saving! I've never liked it, and now starting even earlier (keeping in step with our southern neighbours) is just awful. And politics gets nasty enough to make us fed up as well. Hope you feel more chirpy tomorrow.

Deirdre said...

The time change is tough on me too. I wish they'd just leave it alone.

We watched the news with our jaws dropped tonight (I feel the same way about that strange invitation), it was bewildering. I hate to wish time away, but I'll be glad when November is over.

I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Lucy said...

Good day or bad, you're alwaysa good read! (Pictures too)

PJS said...

inner ostrich - that's profound! i love it - gotta keep the TV off and the news hidden away somewhere these days - no wonder we grumble, huh? patti

Becca said...

Your beautiful photos belie those slightly grumpy words ;)

And it's okay - I share in your grumpiness about those same topics.