Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Pausing ...

Hellebore, © Joan Z. Rough, 2008

I seem to be over my frump, at least for now. It's amazing how little things can add up and make life difficult. In the past I've let bothersome things sit inside me without working on them until there was a BIG explosion because life wasn't going my way. Anyone in the vacinity had to run.

But I'm trying not to let that happen anymore. Now I try to work things out before they build into something that is not very pretty. And even then I've got plenty of triggers left from my journey through life that can set me off and I'll utter something unkind before I can stop myself. Hard as it is, I'm finding that if I just tell myself to "pause" and think about what I want or need to say before saying it, I'm a much nicer person. And I don't embarrass myself and then feel terrible.

That doesn't mean that I don't speak my truth when it is needed. It means that I try to find a way to make it more palatable instead of an insult. It's well worth the effort.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Well done you!

Becca said...

Oh, how I love this photo! Today was the first day in a long, long time that there was even a hopeful hint of spring in the air (although there's still plenty of snow on the ground).

Your flower gave me even more hope!